October 15, 2008

Phoning for Prop 8

Our ward members have been asked to devote 4 hours to calling voters for Prop 8 each week until the election. We went for two hours last night and were instructed to call people who had either told us when we went door to door that they were undecided, or people who had not yet been contacted.

I look down at the next name on my call sheet that is a 2 (not contacted/busy). Walter, 75, Republican (can already pretty much predict how this call will be going as I dial his number).

W: Hello?

A: Hi, is this Walter?

W: Yes.

A: Hi Walter, we're phoning voters tonight for the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign. I'm Ashley Smith, a volunteer for the campaign. Have you heard about Prop 8 to restore traditional marriage?

W: Uh, what one is that?

A: It's the proposition that will re-establish marriage in our state constitution with only marriage between one man and one woman being recognized.

W: Oh yes! I know all about it!

A: Ok, great! Well Walter, if the voting were held today do you know if you'd be voting yes or no?

W: Well let me ask you this...If women are marrying women and men are marrying men, where will the population be coming from in the future? Does that answer your question?

A
: Uh, I think so.

W
: You know, they've had to close down schools in Nevada because the population is diminishing in certain cities and children aren't being born there anymore. Does that answer your question?

A: Uh, yeah, so then you're for protecting traditional marria....

W: ...You're d*** right I am!!

A: Haha, ok perfect, well I totally agree with you. Thank you Walter, and we'll just remind you to vote yes on Prop 8 in November.

W: You bet! Thank you!

4 comments:

Arica said...

almost as funny as Harriett & Jeremy's convo. although definitely more successful. ha!

Erin Hoy said...

I think that I love Walter...

brooke said...

You are awesome for being involved Ashley. I can't tell you strongly I feel about this entire election, but especially about Prop 8.

Ashley said...

I remember calling people for Prop 22 awhile ago! I'm glad you got such a great reaction from this guy! I know that most definitely does NOT always happen. :)