It's like an era of my life has ended...and it's ok. I just feel like this show has been such a big part of my life the last 8 years. That may sound silly, but I'll tell you why I was/am so attached to it.
As the second season started, I joined many others in watching the show. I must thank my sister's former boyfriend for getting my whole family into it. This was fall 2005 to spring 2006. At that time I had been in a situation of unrequited love for a few years, and as I watched the character of Jim, I just wanted to give the tv a hug. I knew what he was going through. I watched that season's finale episode, "Casino Night", the night before I had the surgery that changed my life's course at the time. The day after watching Jim profess his feelings for Pam, I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had finally started dating the person I had cared about for so long, but I knew his feelings had only changed because I was about to serve a mission for my church (something that wouldn't be possible with my new-found condition). I hurt like that character hurt. I knew that my diagnosis meant more than just not serving a mission...it meant the likely end of my current relationship, and I was right.
Then in fall 2006, the character of Jim moved on to a new branch while I moved on to a new and happier chapter of my life. Many other parallels in our stories would follow...marriage, birth of children, etc. I was emotionally invested in this show from the beginning. Unlike other fans who stopped watching when Michael left, or a handful of episodes into the following season, Jeremy and I stuck with it. This show gave me a reason to laugh when I needed it most. It made me cry in happiness for the characters I had grown to love. The series finale was amazing, and I had to share these thoughts with you, however silly they might be.
So thank you to the actors, writers, and NBC for arguably the best show ever made.
1 comment:
The last 2 episodes made me cry. Literally. They wrapped the story up so so perfectly. I want to watch them again. I will miss Scranton, more than anyone really should.
And it was actually Kasey's doing (while he and I partied 24/7). We somewhat stumbled upon it one night on accident. But I guess we didn't REALLY start watching weekly until later like you mentioned. What a glorious thing that silly show turned out to be.
Post a Comment